There are four elements to learning a domain: Purpose, People, Process and Information
- Purpose is learning the reason why the organization exists – what do they sell (product/service)? who are their customers/consumers? what is the value of that produce/service to their customers/consumers? what are some of the unique ‘jargon’ of the domain? what is the environment in which the organization operates? who are their competitors? what is their market share?
- People is about how the organization is structured – the org structure, hierarchy of branches, various departments, key roles in each department, a high level JD of these key roles.
- Process is about learning the business processes – the value chain, various processes within the value chain, the process flows for each process
- Information is about learning the data that is maintained by the organization – what information is created, retrieved, updated and/or deleted by the organization when business processes are executed
- PEST Analysis,
- SWOT Analysis (Trends & Challenges are a part of this),
- Value Chain Analysis (e.g. Insurance Value Chain)
- Five Force Analysis
- People: Organization Modeling
- Process: Value Chain Analysis and Business Process Modeling, Business Rules Analysis
- Information: Business Domain Modeling, Data Dictionary
Good luck learning!
- Praveen Udupa